Beam Core (Web + Mobile) Changelog - Month of April + 1st week of March
We've been hard at work behind the scenes at Beam fixing bugs, preparing for some crazy cool upcoming events ;) and rolling out several improvements to the site. In the interest of transparency, here's what's new!
FTL Transcodes Beta and more!
- Now, all viewers will be able to watch in a variety of qualities using FTL on partnered channels!
- This is an initial beta rollout, we're collecting feedback, and will continue to expand it to more channels soon!
- Since initial rollout, we've improved transcode switching such that you can now change quality options without disruption to playback (pausing).
- Users that have updated to the Creators update on Win 10 can now watch FTL streams in Edge without setting any special flags
New Mobile Web Site
- New Mobile web site rolled out that feels like an app, with chat interactive, and all the other channel features you'd expect from beam.
- You can chat and use interactive controls overlaid over the video in landscape (horizontal mode) too! It's pretty great.
Channel Offline Images
- Streamers can now upload a custom background to be shown at the top of their channel page when offline
Microsoft Login Improvements
- Clicking "MSA" login instead of register directly will now correctly create a Beam profile if you don't already have one.
- Added some help text to user/password login to instruct the user to use MSFT login if they originally signed up with it
Beam Mobile Apps
- Rolled out two updates for both iOS and Android that significantly improve stability and bring some minor quality of life tweaks!
- More to come. ;)
- Updated DMCA information page and ToS to be more clear with some guidance from our mostly friendly lawyers
- Seeking around in VODs will now updated the timestamp you're hovering over in realtime, making it easier to find important moments
- Made the contact form a bit wider so it's easier to type long messages and changed the placeholder text from "message" to "Your letter to us..."
- Minor style improvements to the channel description editor
- Added the notification bell to popout chat, so it's easier to access when streaming
- Streamlined hub navigation and improved the way it renders on mobile web (it's still not perfect, but we're close)
New Social Links!
- You can now add things like your Soundcloud, Steam, and even your Patreon links to your Beam channel!
- We're always taking feedback for new social links at feedback.beam.pro :wink:
- Brought back verified Twitter links! If you link your Twitter account to Beam, your Twitter social link will have a beautiful halo around it on the channel page!
All things Interactive 2!
Last Wednesday, Interactive 2 was rolled out to the world. Full details in the blog post at https://blog.beam.pro/interactive-2-0-is-here/
Since then, we've rolled out a number of fixes and improvements:
- Launching an interactive 2 game now gives you a chance to read its instructions before launching immediately
- Improvements to Studio loading when on slow network connections
- Added scrolling to the list of controls
- Enabled interactive 2 on mobile web
Improved Notification Preferences
- Our notification service for emails is still having trouble, but we rolled out some improvements to the rest of the stack
- Notifications will now send significantly faster. Previously, notifications could be delayed by 30 minutes or more depending on where you were in the queue
- Added the ability to set defaults states (enabled/disabled) different types of notifications (like email, mobile, Xbox, etc...)
- Fixed an issue that wouldn't let you tweak notification Xbox notification settings from the Notification management page
- Help/accessibility tooltips no longer get stuck open when hovering over items quickly
- Fixed partner emote manager not saving correctly in some cases
- Moderators deleting a message they were tagged in will no longer cause an alert sound to play
- Users can no longer direct link to "sub button dialogs" for non-partnered channels
- We will not longer show a prompt to "switch to a lower quality" if none is available
- Fixed the current time scrub indicator in VODs being slightly misaligned
- Textareas (large text boxes) are no longer misaligned when presented next to smaller text inputs (like on the contact page)
- Notification bell is no longer presence on OAuth authorization pages (that was... confusing)
- Subscribe button in hosting bar should now properly show the hostee's sub dialog when clicked, rather than the hoster.
- On Firefox and Internet Explorer, the game search input on the browse page no longer overlaps with the games
- Fixed sub anniversary sharing... you could say it was pretty inconsistent.
- Removed some inputs from the description editor that were non functional and confusing
- Attempting to delete your account would give an error (... yeah)
- Fixed the "Report playback issue" button on the player not looking like it submitted correctly
- Fixed message purges not sticking through a refresh
- Sliding the volume to zero would persist the mute state but clicking on the mute toggle itself to mute the player won't persist through a refresh
A few bugs that came and went (regressions)
- Emote dialog button was left-aligned, covering up chat for a period of time after a deploy
- Enforcement was unable to suspend/ban users for a small period of time (1-2 hours after a deploy)
- Users were unable to remove 2FA for a small time 1-2 hours after a deploy
- For fresh users to the site, the mature overlay couldn't be accepted
- Follow button was often broken on Internet Explorer
- For a brief period clicking another hub tab when already on the account page would cause other hub tabs to be blank
Beam Version Selection - Now Back!
- Re-added the ability to choose your frontend version in Beam 2 from the account page! (Pro & Partnered users get to help us iron out kinks in new versions of Beam before they're publicly available)
- On a bitter sweet note, we have removed the Legacy toggle from the dropdown. (see our forum thread for more detail)
A few top of mind known issues:
- FTL playback freezes and occasionally has trouble loading in Chrome 58 and the latest version of Firefox(!)
- When watching an FTL quality option, video can occasionally be slightly desynced from the audio